Hello Incoming Tar Heels!
We are so excited to welcome you to the Carolina family and we hope that you will participate in our peer mentoring programs!
Incoming students benefit from peer mentors by having access to another student who is knowledgeable about student transition, student services offered, academic issues, and generally about life at UNC. This means a peer mentor is available to help answer questions ranging from how to get help writing a paper, to who to see if you are not feeling well.
Through the Center for Student Success & Academic Counseling, we offer the following peer mentoring programs for the indicated student populations:
- C-STEP Peer Mentoring Program – community college transfer students through the C-STEP Program
- Carolina Covenant Peer Mentoring Program – first-year and transfer Carolina Covenant Scholars
- Minority Advisory Program – first-year students who identify as African American, American Indian, or multiracial with at least one of those identities
As a participating mentee, you will be expected to:
- Attend sponsored programming as your schedule permits
- Meet in person with your mentor at least once a month
- Respond in a timely manner to all communication from mentors or program advisors
- Be open to receiving your mentor’s advice
- Share your thoughts, feelings and experiences related to academic, career and life interests with their mentor
- Ask your mentor interesting questions, share funny stories, learn about one another
In order to help us pair you with a peer mentor, please complete the Mentee Pairing Form. You can also use this form to indicate that you are not interested in having a peer mentor.
If you have any questions, please email the Coordinator for Peer Mentoring & Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org.